Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Day 28: What rubbish?!

One man's rubbish is another man's treasure. I realised that at an early stage while growing up in India. Things we didn't have use for or didn't need were often given away to our house helpers for their kids. Those kids would hold the toys we grew disinterested in as their most precious possessions and would happily wear clothes that we didn't think were cool enough. I was always amazed by this recycle/reuse concept and it always gave me great joy to see a "not needed" thing being used as a "most wanted" commodity. In this growing age of consumerism, where we believe retail therapy solves all our problems, it really is increasingly important to recycle and reuse our so-called rubbish as treasure. I may sound like a primary school teacher here but I feel extremely ashamed and wasteful every time I clean my room and have to dispose off all those things that I once bought and thought I needed but never used. I do try and give most of it away to charity and clothing drives but I don't think that's enough.
My new thing for the day was to create a treasure out of rubbish. I wanted to do something creative, something fun, something useful. I decided to make jewellery! It would not only make my ex-roomie happy but also prove my craftmanship or lack thereof. I googled some ideas fore recyclable jewellery and came across a really cool new idea for earrings made from headphones! I'm not sure how and why but I go through headphones like Hugh Hefner goes through his playmates. I need a new one almost every couple of months. Out with the old, in with the new. I dispose off those headphones without even stopping to consider if there was another use for them...but now I do! Earrings! They were super easy to make, all you need are broken headphones, scissors, paint (if you want to jazz up the earrings) and the wire for the hook. Within less than an hour, I had new earrings! Treasure out of rubbish! Who would have thought? We all have a Midas touch to turn things into gold (gold is a metaphor for something splendid/useful), just have to adopt a new perspective sometimes. New day, new earrings, new disposal ritual for headphones! Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment