Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Day 29: Baby, I'm ready to go!

I used to fear change but now I get a kick from it. At the age of 20, in my third year at University, I had my entire life planned out, all my 5/10/20 year plans sorted and then I was struck with a personal setback which kind of shook up my plans and taught me that there was no point of planning and preparing, if things have to go wrong, they will go wrong. So just go with the flow. "Go with the flow" has been the mantra of my life for a while now. I don't organize, I don't plan ahead, I don't worry about the future but just take each day as it comes along. You can't adjust the sails of your ship based on the wind up ahead, you just have to go with the flow. As a negative side effect of this new mantra, I have developed a horrible habit of leaving things to the last minute because "going" is always intensified just before the "flowing" is at the flooding stage. I take pride in the fact that I can work very hard the night before on an essay and get an A or that I can pack 2 hours before my flight and leave without knowing where I'm going to stay and what I'm going to do. It's all a part of the adventure, I'd try to convince myself. When it comes to travelling, I'm often the person running towards the train just as it is about to leave or the person they page for at airports. I'm the kind of person who comes with a travel bag, with half the things missing - no toiletries, no socks, no jandals etc. I never go with a map or a lonely planet book but rely on the foreign paths to lead me to my "destination". I watched this really awesome Bollywood movie called three idiots which taught me to say "all izz vell" and lie to my heart and convince everything is ok even if I'm scared to bits and that's what I do when travelling. So my new thing for the day was to be a little more organized about my next trip. I planned and packed 3 days before my flight which is an achievement! My friend Ting nearly fainted when I told her! It really brought a smile to the always prepared and super organized mother's face. I made a list of everything I needed and made sure I had everything I needed. I packed and weighed my bags. I read my lonely planet guide and Singapore must-do lists and went all out to find accommodation and local contacts in Singapore. It felt weird being so organized, it almost took away the novelty of surprise or a sense of adventure but it also made me feel really onto it. It's like baby, I'm ready to go (with the flow and a plan).

No comments:

Post a Comment